Sometime in July I became very disheartened with my photography skills. I felt that I wasn't improving; I was too impatient to take the time to create a decent picture. I realized that I was not pushing myself; I usually had my camera with me, but wouldn't always use it.
I decided to challenge myself to take more pictures. Therefore, I created my own little goal of taking and sharing with you 31 pictures for the 31 days in August. That doesn't mean that each of these photos is from 31 different days. Some days were loaded with photography projects, some days were photo-less. However, I took more pictures this month than I have any other month that I have had my camera. Therefore, I deem my challenge a success. I wanted my 31 pictures to be new pictures, not ones used for blog posts throughout the month. A few of the pictures show about life in Korea (what I try to focus on in this blog), but many are just little moments from our everyday life, not excursions into the culture. A few of the photos I carefully thought about and made an attempt at being artistic; others were a quick click to document my day. Some of the pictures were taken with my iPhone, but mostly I used my Canon EOS M; I used Adobe Lightroom 3 to edit the photographs.
Here they are; my August in 31 pictures:
1. Writing my in journal for Korean class.
2. This is what happens when you can't decide between sloppy joe night or quesadilla night: sloppy joe quesadillas!
3-5. At the zoo.
6. I've started tutoring a Korean boy three times a week. We study English, and that includes how to make brownies.
7. Fresh Peaches!
8. Korean Flag.
11. I read two books this month: Snow Falling on Cedars and Ender's Game. I highly recommend both; especially Ender's Game before the movie comes out in November!
12. At the Doosan Bears and LG Twins baseball game. So many umbrellas!
13. Glass soda bottles; so common here!
14. Kimchi pots on my route to work.
15. N Seoul Tower seen from Itaewon.
16. Pub tour!
17. Self Portrait.
18. Cacti found in a tiny coffee shop.
19 & 20. Neighborhood peppers.
21. Antique statue found in Insadong.
23. Jared's iPhone = jPhone.
24. Swirled paint.
25. Always on the hunt for a great food. (It wasn't here.)
26. I need more tassels in my life.
27. I may not always take amazing pictures, but I always make amazing bread!
28. It's a leaf. (I think these captions are more of a challenge than the photography was!)
29. Clay figurine.
30. Rainy days are happy days when you have purple boots!
31. Is there anything more exciting than school supplies? This picture is extra special. First, it sums up my past few weeks of preparing to start teaching preschool. My excitement for school supplies and teaching knows no limits. Also, I am submitting this photo for my first link party; the first time this little blog of mine has ventured out to make friends! A member of a photography Facebook page that I have joined is just starting a weekly photo challenge, which fits perfectly with my personal challenge. This week's topic is "back to school;" a subject obviously meant for me! She kindly invited everyone to join in the challenge and link our blogs and photos to her amazing site. The purpose is to share what we have created and learn from what others have produced; check out the link at the bottom of the post to check out the other submissions! As per the challenge, here is a little extra information for those interested:
- Focal Length: 34 mm
- Shutter Speed: 1/80
- Exposure: f/4.5
- ISO: 100
- Lens: EF-M 18-55mm
- Camera: Canon EOS M
I learned a lot about my own photography strengths and weakness, what I'm drawn to (color!), and what still intimidates me. I'm not satisfied with each picture, but I am happy with my progress over the past month. I still have a lot to learn, and I think I will continue this monthly challenge for awhile. Stay tuned for September's 30 Pictures in 30 Days!